- Leah Seabrook, RCA President
- Dr. David Swann, MLA Calgary-Mountain View and Leader of the Alberta Liberal Opposition
Dates Archives: THURSDAY, September 20
If you want institutional memory, this session has it! Some of the most recognized names with a long history in waste reduction and recycling will review the changes they have seen over the years, and speculate where they see things headed in the future.
Facilitator: Brock Macdonald (Recycling Council of British Columbia)
- Jack Astill (Capital Paper Recycling Ltd.)
- Bill Stitt (Cascades Recovery+)
- Carey McIver (Carey McIver & Associates Ltd.)
- David Schaaf (City of Lethbridge)
- Geoff Love (Love Environment)
- Jim Lapp (Tetra Tech Canada Inc.)
Moderator: Kate Trajan (City of Calgary)
This session combines a variety of current industry updates that influence the daily world of recycling. Expect updates right up to show time.
Moderator: Ela Guenette (GEEP Global Inc.)
- Joe Angevine (Foothills Regional Services Commission) – Come Hell or High Water: A Comparative Analysis of the 2013 High River Flood Response
- Sean Homenick (SARCAN Recycling) – Reinventing the Bottle Depot: Or how Saskatchewan learned to stop worrying and love the technology
- Timo Makinen (NISP Canada ) – Canada’s National Industrial Symbiosis Program: Waste Re-Purposing that Delivers Triple Bottom Line Benefits
At the recent G7 Summit held in Charlevoix, QC, the leaders of the G7 recognized the urgency of the threat of ocean plastic waste and marine litter to ecosystems and the lost value of plastics in the waste stream, and committed to moving towards a more resource efficient and sustainable management of plastics. This has raised the profile of plastic waste reduction across the globe, as reflected by the speakers in this session.
Moderator: Tammy Schwass (APRA)
- Steph Karba (Patagonia) – Microfiber Snapshot: Patagonia’s Involvement in Microfiber Research
- Amber Crawford (Association of Municipalities Ontario) – AMO’s position on Zero Plastic Waste
- Joe Hruska (CPIA) – Vision: 100% Plastic Recycling & Recovery
- Chris Lindberg (Environment and Climate Change Canada) – Toward A National Approach to Zero Plastic Waste
Waste reduction and recycling are often viewed as issues with technical solutions. However, the arts can strongly influence various parts of society, as shown in this session.
Moderator: Connie Anderson (Molok North America)
- Jolanta Wagner (Strzeminski Academy of Fine Arts) – Roll Out the Red Carpet for Recycled Art
- Leanne Olson – Landfill Artist in Residence
- Charles Blanc and Tristan Surtees (Sans façon) – What’s Art Got To Do With It?