Dates Archives: WEDNESDAY, September 19
The Holy Mountain – Banff Waste Management Stars
This is an all-encompassing tour of Banff, starting with a quick stop to view the “bear-proof” residential recycling collection system and a visit to the transfer site and reuse centre. Then on to the N-Viro biosolids processing facility where the resulting soil amendment is sold as a registered CFIA fertilizer to agricultural producers in central Alberta. This tour concludes with a stop at the Fenlands Banff recreation centre which was completely rebuilt in 2009 to LEED Silver Standards and houses largest solar installation in the Bow Valley.
Three Sisters – Canmore Transfer Station and Recycling Depot, RAW Distillery
Enjoy the short drive to Canmore to see the newly upgraded Waste Management Centre. Featuring the new transfer station, sort line and many other award-winning collection programs (HHW, scrub and brush, leaf and grass, etc.). Finish this tour off right, with a with a guided tour and “tasting adventure” at the RAW Distillery production warehouse.
***Closed toed shoes are mandatory
Sponsored by Alberta Environmental Rubber Products and General Recycling Industries
Walk of Fame – Banff Centre
Join Jim Oliver for a Campus tour of Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity. We will describe the history of the Rocky Mountains, exploration in the Bow Valley and Banff Centre. We will visit creative spaces in the Theatres, Music, Visual Arts and Media and Production. You will be amazed and inspired!
Sponsored by sonnevera international corp
This session digs into legal issues impacting our industry, including jurisdictional range of the Municipal Government Act, cannabis disposal, bylaws and contracts.
Moderator: Joel Sanchez (City of Lethbridge)
- Brenda Heelan Powell (Environmental Law Centre) – Municipalities & the Environment: Municipal Jurisdiction in Environmental Matters
- Shauna Finlay (Reynolds Mirth Richards & Farmer LLP) – Contracts: Consistency and Expectations
- Alfred Wong (Micron Waste Technologies) – Waste Cannabis Management
Presented by Alberta Recycling and Beverage Container Management Board
- The Hon. Shannon Phillips, Minister of Alberta Environment and Parks
Renowned for its panoramic beauty, The Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course is situated in Banff National Park, a mile high in the Canadian Rockies. With a breathtaking view in every direction, it is a captivating and challenging course. Amateurs and professionals alike are constantly amazed by its sense of difficulty. The optical illusions created by the mountains towering overhead can deceive the eye of even the most skilled player. Dress code enforced, no metal spikes
Stop in on your way to the conference and learn about the progressive features at this Class III landfill site:
- Sustainability, loop-closing elements included in new office building.
- Use of recycled bio-mass as a renewable space heating fuel.
- Multi-stream Class III diversion and onsite processing to address marketing barriers.
- How a small “rural” resource recovery operation helped open the largest compost facility in Canada more or less on schedule and how that helped us address marketing issues.
- Long term differential fee structure as incentive for recycling and financial self-sufficiency and how that is working – or not.
- Financial structure addressing long-term financial liability such as closure and post closure costs through a pro-active financial reserve program.
- When you wake up one day and your office building is gone: Working through disasters – two major fires and 2013 floods in a 5 year span.
- Next generation CRD developments. Custom-designed sorting-at-the-face bin system.